Fall is almost here and we're ready with a great slate of classes, so mark your calendars! Admission is free except where noted, but we'd appreciate advance registration by calling 318-868-2701 or dropping by the nursery.
- Plant Propagation: 10 a.m. Sept. 29. Akin's staffer Julie Rogers will teach you how to propagate plants.
- Deluxe Potting Parties: 10 a.m. Oct. 3, 13,17 and 25. Class participants will be able to choose a beautiful 16-inch or smaller Vietnamese pottery container for 50 percent off and purchase plants to fill it. We'll provide the potting soil and advice from Akin's staffers.Space is limited so preregistration is required by calling 318-868-2701 or dropping by the nursery.
- Decorating for Fall -- The Natural Way: 10 a.m. Oct. 6. Sandra Poole will show you how to use materials from your yard to create autumn displays. Preregistration required.
- Cooking with Herbs: 10 a.m. Oct. 20. Retired Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service county agent/dietitian Cheryl Maxwell will conduct a cooking demonstration and, yes, you get to sample the goodies!
Hope to see you at one -- or all -- of our upcoming events.
We've got great garden events scheduled for May. The talks are free, except where noted, but we'd appreciate advance registration by calling 318-868-2701 or dropping by the nursery.
Here's the schedule:
Hot Ideas for Hanging Baskets: 9 a.m. May 10 and 24. Akin's staffers will demonstrate how to create a pleasing hanging basket and offer advice on plants that will stand up to our summer heat. The class is free, but you can turn it into a hands-on class and make your own basket to take home. The cost will depend on the basket and plants you choose.
Sensational Sedums: 10 a.m. May 19. Akin's staffer Julie Rogers, who has a degree in plant sicences from Louisiana Tech, will share tips on growing sedums and other succulents, which are great choices for hot weather.
Attracting Butterflies and Other Pollinators: 10 a.m. May 26. Northwest Louisiana Master Gardener Mike Livingston, who heads up the butterfly garden at the Randle T. Moore Center, will share tips for attracting butterflies and other pollinators to your garden.
April is jam-packed with fun garden activities at Akin's. Check these out!
- The response was so great to our recent Deluxe Potting Party that we've scheduled three more! Dates are April 7, 21 and 28 at 9 a.m. Participants will receive a beautiful Vietnamese pottery container, potting soil, sun or shade plants to fill it and advice from Akin's staffers. Cost is $25 and space is limited so preregistration is required by calling 318-868-2701 or dropping by the nursery. We look forward to three more mornings of fun!
- Our next garden talk will be at 10 a.m. April 14. Sandra Poole will share ideas for decorating your home with natural materials from your yard. Admission is free, but we appreciate advance registration. Call 318-868-2701 or drop by the nursery to sign up.
Join us for our Spring 2018 garden events! Admission is free except where noted, but we'd love to know if you plan to attend so call 318-868-2701 to register.
Organic Veggie Gardening
10 a.m. March 10
Shreveport Green garden coordinator Lauren Jones will share her tips for earth-friendly vegetable gardening.
Deluxe Potting Party
10 a.m. March 15
Participants will receive a piece of Vietnamese pottery, potting soil, plants and help from Akin's staffers to create a lovely container garden. Class size is limited to 15 and preregistration is required. Cost: $25.
Plants for Small Gardens
10 a.m. March 17
Akin's staffer Julie Rogers will recommend plants suitable for tight spaces, like courtyards and small gardens.
Cooking with Basil and More
10 a.m. March 24
Retired Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service county agent/dietitian Cheryl Maxwell will share recipes and tips using basil and other herbs.
Decorating with Natural Materials
10 a.m. April 14
Sandra Poole will demonstrate home decorating ideas using materials from your back yard.
Stop by with the kids to “make and take” a Valentine’s Day potted plant for their mother or other loved one. We’ll provide the plants, potting soil, container and guidance; you bring the willing hands. 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Feb. 10 and 12-14
Cost: $5 per pot.
There's always more to learn about gardening, so mark your calendars for these upcoming talks:
- 10 a.m. March 10: "Organic Vegetable Gardening" with speaker Lauren Jones, garden coordinator for Shreveport Green.
- 10 a.m. March 17: "Gardening in Small Spaces" by Akin's staffer Julie Rogers.
- 10 a.m. March 24: "Cooking with Basil and More" with speaker Cheryl Maxwell, retired Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service county agent/dietitian.
- 10 a.m. April 14: "Decorating with Natural Materials" by Sandra Poole.
Admission is free, but we appreciate advance registration by calling 318-868-2701.
The Hoover Watercolor Society will take advantage of the beautiful fall color in the nursery with a painting party from noon to 4 p.m. Oct. 27. Drop by and observe their creativity at work!
We love doing our Halloween potting parties for kids, so they are back again this year. We'll provide the pot, potting soil, decorations and hands-on help so the little ones can create a spooktacular masterpiece. Cost: $5 per pot. Hours: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Oct. 25-28 and 30-31. Hope to see you there!
Ready for a new twist on your Thanksgiving recipes? Be sure to sign up for our 10 a.m. Nov. 11 talk on cooking with herbs. Retired Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service county agent/dietitian Cheryl Maxwell will share ideas for adding fresh herbs -- primarily rosemary and sage -- to your holiday feast. Admission is free, but advance registration is appreciated. Call 318-868-2701 or drop by the nursery.
You can deck your halls for the holidays and bring Christmas cheer to homeless families on Saturday, Nov. 18. A portion of sales from Christmas trees, greenery, gifts and plants will benefit Providence House during Red, Green and Evergreen, an annual event at Akin's Nursery, 5901 E. Kings Highway, Shreveport.
Refreshments will be served and Santa Claus will be on hand for photos with children and pets.
Hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
For more information, call Akin's at 318-868-2701.