- Watch for chinch bug damage in lawns. Symptoms are irregular patches of dead grass surrounded by yellowing grass. Treat with Hi-Yield Bug Blaster, Fertilome Systemic Insect Spray or Cyonara Lawn and Garden Spray.
- Deadhead roses and continue a spray program to prevent blackspot and powdery mildew. We recommend Fertilome Systemic Fungicide, or Serenade for organic gardeners.
- Avoid fertilizing roses in the heat of the summer, even if flowering slows. Intense heat, not lack of fertility, is the problem.
- Keep annuals and perennials deadheaded and well watered to prolong blooming.
- Apply Sluggo or Earth-Tone Bug and Slug Control for Organic Gardening if damage from snails and slugs occurs. Sluggo targets only targets slugs and snails. Earth-Tone Bug and Slug Control for Organic Gardening also kills sowbugs, pillbugs, earwigs and cutworms.
- Set out heat-tolerant tomato transplants.
- Plant pumpkin seeds by mid-July for Halloween harvest.
- Spray trees affected by scale insects, such as crape myrtles, with Hi-Yield Systemic Insect Spray. Apply early or late, not in the heat of the day.
- Control powdery mildew on ornamentals with Fertilome Systemic Fungicide, or Serenade for gardeners who prefer organic products.
- Prune azaleas, hydrangeas and gardenias, if needed, before mid-July to avoid cutting off next year’s blooms.
- Irrigate lawns and landscape and vegetable gardens in the absence of rain. Be sure to water the soil deeply. Light sprinkling does more harm than good.
Remove suckers that sprout at the base of trees, such as crape myrtles, vitex and yaupon holly. Don’t leave stubs.
Give your soil a boost with Vital Earth compost and Fertilome Bedding Plant Food if you decide to replant your beds.
- Plant seeds of okra, Southern peas, watermelons, cucumbers, summer squash and, cantaloupes.
- Plant seeds of fast-growing annual flowers, such as zinnias, sunflowers, morning glories and moonvines.
- Water the soil deeply when irrigating. Light sprinkling does more harm than good.
- Treat white flies and the accompanying sooty mold on gardenias with an application of Fertilome Systemic Insect Spray. Apply early or late, not in the heat of the day.